Thursday, August 14, 2008

Week #6/Thing 15 Web 2.0/Library 2.0

The future of libraries...how exciting, how fast, how to keep up? I believe that libraries have always been 2.0---collaborative, customer friendly, and welcoming. But now with the multi-layering of everything technology...well, we have to step up to the plate. I plan on sharing the OCLC articles with the other librarians in my district.

I found the "Away from Icebergs" article interesting. Even though we have monthly library meetings where we get to see each other and share what we are doing, I feel like we are on our own little icebergs sometimes. A powerful quote that will make some interesting discussion at a library department meeting: "...it can be equally disastrous when a profession fails to acknowledge and adapt to radical, fundamental change in the marketplace it serves."

The "New World of Librarianship" article brought on the following thoughts:
1. Planning for the user--I'ts not "how will I use this to help the user" anymore! It's "how will the user be able to access this 24/7 and I wonder how s/he will use the information...what product will they create?"
2. Embrace Web 2.0 tools--I am!!! :)
3. Technolust--I will continue to build my relationship with the Director of Technology in my school district. Hopefully, I can help to make sure we are not buying technology for technolgy's sake and that what we do buy is practical and flexible.
4. Decision Maker--I will have to keep up with those changes--somehow--and have the support to implement them quickly!
5. Trendspotter--I will continue to keep up with current trends in libraryland. Keep reading those journals, blogs, list service post, among others!
6. Content--My motto used to be: "I will provide the resources for you and help you access, analyze, use and cite information." Now, I must focus on using the information and manipulating it to help users create content.

"To a Temporary Place in Time" article---Great title! I feel like everything technology-wise/Web 2.0-wise is temporary. Just when I get used to something, Poff! It morphs or updates into something else! But, that's where "go with the flow" comes in. Information flows, from it's creation and uploading, to it's acquistion, to it's use in creating a product, and to sharing it with others.
Library 1.0 Commodity
As a school librarian, I am providing access and resources "to inform the present and future."
Library 2.0 Product
We have a lot to offer at my school library, but it patrons don't have a librarian to guide them to it, what's the point?
Library 3.0 Service
Hmmm--I still can't envision myself as an avatar librarian in 3D helping patrons in a virtual reality environment. I will really have to try to open up to this one!
Library 4.0 Experience
"Libraries as mind gyms." "Libraries as idea labs." Libraries as art salons." Wow! Neat concepts! Libraryland is kind of there already...or at least poised to bring it to full fruitition. The "Library as knowledge spa" idea...I can envision for big academic libraries and will have to see how it filters down to school libraries. I think that school libraries are here to stay. They are morphing into a different experience for users. Take the Classrooms of the Future process, for example. Our library used to be one computer lab area for a teaching/learning experience. Now, each classroom is it's OWN computer lab. So, as a school librarian, I go to the students in the classroom.

Change is enevitable. Change is good. Change keeps it all going.

No comments: